"Kim Scarborough" <lists / jinx.unknown.nu> wrote in message
news:Pine.BSF.4.33.0110161356030.3567-100000 / jinx.unknown.nu...
> I'm trying to compile Ruby 1.6.5 with gcc 3.01 on a Solaris 8 box. The
> configure goes fine, but the compile dies like this:
>
> gcc -I/opt/include  main.o dmyext.o libruby.a -ldl -lcrypt -lm   -o
miniruby
> sys_nerr                            libruby.a(error.o)
> ReadDataPending                     libruby.a(io.o)
> ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to miniruby
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make: *** [miniruby] Error 1
>
> Is there something I'm missing?

Looks like it might be an issue with gcc 3+.  I compiled it fine on my
solaris 8 box with gcc 2.93.  Do you have an older compiler available?

Also, by any chance do happen to have the binutils package installed?  There
have been times when I've had to adjust my path to point to the
pre-installed solaris programs first within my path before pointing to
/usr/local/... in order to get them to compile/install correctly.  See the
note on binutils at sun.freeware.com.

Regards,

Dan