gregarican wrote:

> Paul Lutus wrote:
>> Not when the vendor can kill it. Microsoft killed Visual Basic. Q.E.D.
>>

> Not to belabor the topic, but how is Microsoft killing off VB?

It's dead, and Microsoft killed it. First they killed it, then they stopped
offering support for it, all to get people to move on to new Microsoft
products.

http://www.developer.com/net/vb/article.php/3422891

http://www.sqlmag.com/Article/ArticleID/43158/sql_server_43158.html

http://www.bitwisemag.com/copy/features/vb6/strangedeathofvb.html

Apart from these VB post-mortems, the point I am making is that, no matter
which variety of Microsoft language one adopts, it is only a matter of time
before Microsoft tries to migrate you to the latest fad, if necessary by
halting support for the prior product.

> understand that VBA is being retired, but VB seems to be alive and
> kicking through .NET

Unfortunately, and as these articles show, VB/.NET is not the same language.
For those who only know one language, e.g. those firmly in the Microsoft
camp, the transition is very difficult.

--
Paul Lutus
http://www.arachnoid.com