On Fri, 24 Nov 2006, Peter Bailey wrote:

> Hi,
> Can someone point me to a quick "grep" like function in RUBY? I use glob

Not the answer you want [below], but look at glark
http://www.incava.org/projects/glark/
It is a ruby grep, "interbred" with find...

> all the time, but, I need the power of regular expressions when finding
> particular files in directories. I see "grep" in the Pickaxe manual,
> but, only as it relates to ".enum," which, sorry to say, I don't
> understand.

 Dir["*"].grep(/^c/)    # all entries matching * (glob) that begin with C.

enum is enumerable -- `ri Enumerable` gives:
<quote>
------------------------------------------------------ Class: Enumerable
     The +Enumerable+ mixin provides collection classes with several
     traversal and searching methods, and with the ability to sort. The
     class must provide a method +each+, which yields successive members
     of the collection. If +Enumerable#max+, +#min+, or +#sort+ is used,
     the objects in the collection must also implement a meaningful
     +<=>+ operator, as these methods rely on an ordering between
     members of the collection.

Instance methods:
-----------------
     all?, any?, collect, detect, each_cons, each_slice,
     each_with_index, entries, enum_cons, enum_slice, enum_with_index,
     find, find_all, grep, include?, inject, inject, map, max, member?,
     min, partition, reject, select, sort, sort_by, to_a, to_set, zip

</quote>
And of course Dir.[] gives something with an each method.

> I need something like this, even though, I know this doesn't work:
> Dir.glob(/^f[0-9]{7}\.eps/)
>
> Thanks!
> Peter

        HTH