On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 04:33:23AM +0900, Emiliano wrote:
> Mark Hahn wrote:
>
> > The most significant thing is that Ruby stores each char as an int.
>
> I'm not exactly current on Unicode, but I wasn't led to believe those
> two are similar. Please educate a latin-1 only ignoramus.
One of natural Unicode encodings, UCS2, is a 16-bit uint.
There is UCS4 (32-bit) as well and Utf8 which is usually mentioned
and represents kind of 'compression' of UCS2/UCS4 into variable length
tokens but UTF-8 is more complicated for everyday usage in program.
Usually UTF-8 is used as I/O encoding but internal processing is done
in UCS2/UCS4.
--
/ Alexander Bokovoy
$ cat /proc/identity >~/.signature