On Monday, November 20, 2006, at 02:41PM, "snacktime" <snacktime / gmail.com> wrote:
>I heard rumors that webservices as they are now in rails was going to
>change or even be taken out altogether.  Anyone know enough about it's
>future to say whether it's a smart idea to start basing a webservice
>on rails at this point?

The new REST support in the upcoming Rails 1.2 promises to make Rails one of the premiere platforms for building web services. Rails handles the server side beautifully. It assumes the data marshalling will be done with xml, but there's no reason it couldn't be extended to include SOAP envelopes.

For the client side of the equation (and server-side too, to a certain extent) the new ActiveResource library looks incredible. I just started scratching at it this weekend and already I'm impressed. It does for web services what ActiveRecord does for database access; that is, it makes them brain-dead simple.

So, avoid the ActionWebservice library unless you need to build something SOAPy "right now." Otherwise, look at Rails 1.2 and ActiveResource.

cr