Hi,

"Christopher Sawtell" <csawtell / paradise.net.nz> wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Oct 2001 06:03, you wrote:
> > --- dAHen <steensland / hotmail.com> wrote:
> > > And my first question is still there...
> > > Do you recommend Tk or GTK?
> >
> > Between those two, I think you can decide based on whether
> > you like (or hate) two aspects of Tk: 1) the api, and 2)
> > the look-and-feel of the apps themselves.
> [ ... ]
> Another possibility you might like to consider is the FOX <--> Ruby kit.
> The author, who actually reads and answers e-mail, claims it is not really
> ready for the prime time yet, but so far it works for me.

There was a good talk at the 2001 Ruby Conference about FOX. FOX reportedly
has a better (more flexible and powerful) way of dealing with control issues
compared to either Tk or GTK. Hopefully the slides from the talk will be
posted somewhere (if they aren't already).

As for GTK, here is a bit of indirect news about the long-awaited 2.0
version that was designed for much better Win32 support:

(http://slashdot.org/articles/01/10/16/0014244.shtml)
refers to:
(http://www.linuxgram.com/article.pl?sid=01/10/11/1747240&section=187)

==== begin quote ====
Gnome Misses Solaris 9 Bus
Thursday, October 11th, 2001
by G2News

 Sun has got a feature-incomplete beta of Solaris 9 available for download
through the company's early access program, but it seems the promised
open-source Gnome 2.0 won't be the thing's default because, as we've pointed
out before, the Gnome widgetry won't be ready when Solaris 9 ships for real
in the first half of next year. Sun will cleave to its traditional Solaris
Common Desktop Environment for the time being.

Gnome's leader Miguel de Icaza is currently having a flirtation with
Microsoft's C# technologies and is producing a Linux version of the stuff
under an open source initiative called the Mono Project.

Solaris 9, at least in its Intel incarnation, is supposed to be able to run
Linux apps. Sun has been putting Linux APIs in the OS so Linux apps can be
ported to Sparc.
==== end quote ====

Conrad