OK, I have a main Ruby program, which i would like to be able to execute
other ruby programs from. I would like the main ruby program to simulate
the actions of a command prompt (i'm using windows) i.e. i would like
the main program to print out output from the running program and to
know when input is needed.

I have the following:

IO.popen("ruby other_program", "r+") do |f|

# i can read and write to "other_program" here, however i want the main
program to be prompted when the "other_program" is waiting for input

So, i think i need to override the STDIN and STOUT of the process in the
"other_program", however i'm not sure how to do this, can anyone help
please?