On 11/20/06, Frank Reiff <reiff / publicspace.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I apologize in advance if this is a typical newbie question and has been
> answered a million times already. I have searched the group and the
> internet for a solution but found nothing that works.
>
> It looks like rubyforge is down (once again) and I'm getting a bit sick
> of putting my projects on hold for a while until the rubyforge server
> problems have been sorted out.. BTW why is this down half the time and
> isn't it time to build some kind of redunancy into gem?
>
> Now I'm telling myself "Why not use a mirror?" I'm  getting none too far
> with this idea though, presumably because I don't have a reliable list
> of mirrors.. (this is probably on rubyforge?)
>
> I try something like:
>
> gem install fcgi -- --source http://rubyforge.planetargon.com/
> --with-fcgi-include=/usr/local/include --with-fcgi-lib=/usr/local/lib
>
> only to get
>
> ERROR:  While executing gem ... (OpenURI::HTTPError)
>     404 Not Found
>
> Could somebody help with a real mirror url or correct my command line?
>
> Thanks a lot for your time.

1. how to use the planetargon mirror:

from: http://www.robbyonrails.com/articles/2005/10/18/rubygems-mirror-to-kill-the-wait
gem install --source
http://rubyforge.planetargon.com/gems.rubyforge.org whatever
but it seems a bit* outdated (* = 1 year)

2. the default sources are specified in 'source' gem. It seems that
you can specify more sources there (rubygems/remote_installer.rb:472;
the --source option allows only one: rubygems/command.rb:242)