Diego Virasoro wrote:
> Hello,
> I was wondering if someone here has had any experience in programming
> for HPC with Ruby, or it's just not feasible.

I am trying to port mpi-ruby to bluegene. I do combinatorial
optimization so it makes sense for me (cpu intensive, low
communication). You still have to write your computation kernels in C,
but it makes communication and high level operations way faster to code.

> Usually many scientific codes, for example, spend most of their time in
> only a few functions, which (from what I understood) could be
> programmed directly in C, letting you use Ruby for the remaining 90% of
> the code.
Exactly.

> That's why I thought it was feasible, or am I on the wrong track?
>
> And if someone has tried this, how was the experience?
I see no slowdown, but then I do low communication high CPU codes. If
you have to pass a lot of data around, or need every megabyte of memory
ruby might not be the right choice for your application. You can always
write your app in ruby as a prototype, then re-write it in C chunk by
chunk until you get acceptable preformance.