J. B. Rainsberger wrote:
> Hi, everybody!
>
> I am about to do some research tomorrow, but if any of you has an
> obvious answer, then that would help. I am looking to build PDFs from
> Rails views, and I'd like some guidance on how to go about it.
>
> If this is not the right forum, feel free to forward me to a better one.
>
> I want to put placeholders, both text and images, onto a template and
> end up with a PDF. I'm pretty open about how that all happens, so feel
> free to make wild suggestions. The only important constraint I can think
> of is that layout (meaning spacing) matters, so relying on a browser
> rendering HTML is probably not an option. The template will be a kind of
> background on which the placeholders will be laid out, and I imagine
> it's the template that will be the tricky part.
>
> I have looked into PDF::Writer, but I'm not sure whether we'll need to
> draw the templates or not. If we get the template as a pre-rendered file
> (say PDF, RTF, whatever), then I'd like to be able to overlay the
> placeholders onto the template and merge.
>
> So, any suggestions? Any questions for me? Any choice Google keywords
> you care to suggest? I could really use your help.

This is just a follow-up. I found a neat tool online, from FyTek, called
"PDF Meld" that can overlay a PDF onto a graphic, which is perfect for
our purposes. We're now integrating its script into our Rails
application, and if it works well, you'll see me write about it in
detail. If not, your ideas are a tremendous backup plan.

Thanks again.
Your guide to software craftsmanship