Diego Virasoro wrote:
> Hello,
> I was wondering if someone here has had any experience in programming
> for HPC with Ruby, or it's just not feasible.
>
> Usually many scientific codes, for example, spend most of their time in
> only a few functions, which (from what I understood) could be
> programmed directly in C, letting you use Ruby for the remaining 90% of
> the code.
>
> That's why I thought it was feasible, or am I on the wrong track?
>
> And if someone has tried this, how was the experience?
>
> Diego

There are people doing this -- head over to

http://sciruby.codeforpeople.com/sr.cgi/FrontPage

The best approach for a "typical" HPC number crunching problem is most
likely some form of distributed Ruby on a cluster, with the individuals
nodes running processes built around the Ruby "narray" library. I don't
know much about non-numeric HPC problems, but I'd be willing to bet
someone has implemented "MapReduce" in distributed Ruby for stuff like that.

http://labs.google.com/papers/mapreduce.html

http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/