stef wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 14:36:05 +0900, Roseanne Zhang wrote:
>

>> El Gato wrote:
>>
>>> Ruby and the speed of C++.  Welcome to the club.  Strangely enough,
>>> Java's domain really is somewhere between each.  Plus, you'll never
>>> truly appreciate a language like Ruby until you deal with a more...
>>> verbose language such as Java.
>>>
>> Everybody here or somewhere else take that for granted: Java is slower
>> than C++, but actually that is not true.
>>
>> I thought so too. However, my computational heavy practice proved, to
>> certain extent, otherwise.
>>
>> Interesting enough, I was a very experienced C++ programmer, and
>> learning Java in 2000. I got an very heavy algorithm job. I write the
>> same code in Java and C++. When the algorithm was relatively simple, my
>> C++ code was about twice faster than Java c++/Java = 610/1085. However,
>> when my algorithm became extremely heavy iteration, the result was
>> c++/Java = 26000/12000. Java was more than twice faster than C++.
>>
>> I asked several Java experts include Jason Hunter, Daniel Brookshier
>> about the question, why? The answers are the same, JIT!!!!
>>

> thanks for the info; i see that i was not the only one with that idea
> (whether pre-conceived or not).
> i have to say that o/all i have seen java slower than c++ but NOT always
> e.g. my programmer friend who can write in java really complex aps yet
> super fast, user friendly and pleasant to the eye....  he tells me it is
> because he knows how to program (and because JVM's r better than they used
> to be.)
>
> he might have a point there.....

Ayup ... ask the jRuby folks about that :). Of course, there is YARV
coming down the pike, and Rubinius, and the various Ruby on CLR
implementations.

Then again, for pure number crunching, there's no reason in the world
Ruby's NArray can't run at full floating point speed on at least a
modern x86-32 platform. This stuff is what we call "embarrassingly
parallel". :)

http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/