Pawel Szymczykowski wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> http://www.edibleunknown.com/articles/2006/11/17/cooking-with-trek-the-motion-picture

As Zefrem Cochrane is my witness, that is the strangest thing
I have heard of in a week.

> I wanted to keep it short and as much in the spirit of the original
> fortran program as possible, but that *pad hack bothers me. I've
> considered using Array#pack instead of the sprintf since the arguments
> are much more similar to fortran's format, but I'd lose the field
> width and precision control. Can anyone think of a better way? Maybe
> even just a prettier way of padding the array.

I'll have to look at the original and think about this.
Have you considered just fixing all the array handling,
since you're porting anyway?

> And before you tell me, yes, yes... I know that ruby's not fortran and
> fortan's not ruby and I'm a fool for wasting your time with this. It's
> kind of fun for me though, and I know there are a lot of people out
> there more clever than me who enjoy a challenge. Is it possible to
> write fortran code in ruby?

It's possible to write Fortran in any language. ;)

You're not a fool, you're just eccentric... as are many of us here...

Cheers,
Hal