On Mon, 15 Oct 2001, Elmar Sonnenschein wrote:

> "ts" <decoux / moulon.inra.fr> wrote
>
> >  What do you expect with ?
> >
> >   puts [nil]
>
> I would expect the same result as for
>   puts [nil].to_s
> (even if to_s is overloaded).

I think I would agree here.  If a is an array, then `puts a.to_s' seems to
be the same as puts `a.join("")', and `puts a' seems to be the same as
puts `a.join("\n")'.  If I really wanted the latter behavior in the first
place, then I would/should have used "join".

Another problem with puts (at least under 1.6; I haven't tried 1.7) is
that `puts "foo\n"' and `puts "foo"' both do the same thing (print foo
followed by a carriage return).  This behavior was for me unexpected and
inconvenient.

Paul