Thomas Luedeke wrote:
> I once read that in learning Ruby, there is a "suck" stage where it is
> difficult to accomplish much of anything, followed by a "Wow" stage
> where the Ruby Nuby "sees the light".
>
> Any hints/suggestions by you Ruby pros for me to expedite my flounder
> through the "suck" stage, and achieve the Nirvana of "Wow"?  I'm
> historically a Unix scripter, haven't spent a lot of time on languages
> like Perl or Python, and am finding the transition to Ruby rather
> painful.  Any areas to concentrate on??
>
> TPL

It's always struck me that the key to that nirvana seems to lie mostly
in the meta-programming aspects of Ruby.  Look at _why's stuff, study
blocks, closures, *eval, send, method_missing, the various ways to
dynamically add methods, etc.  I think that the barrier to non-suckage
is lower in Ruby than in most languages, so just have some patience.  Be
artful in your work and rethink every line if you have the time to do
so.