Peter Schrammel wrote:
> Thought of that.

Have you seen:
"Converts a list of words to a regular expression with minimum
backtracking by joining words with common prefixes. It is a port
of the Perl module MakeRegex.pm by Hakan Kjellerstrand with
some improvements."
    http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/makeregex/

YMMV; I have never used it on anything like the scale you are.