Thomas Luedeke wrote:
> I once read that in learning Ruby, there is a "suck" stage where it is
> difficult to accomplish much of anything, followed by a "Wow" stage
> where the Ruby Nuby "sees the light".
>
> Any hints/suggestions by you Ruby pros for me to expedite my flounder
> through the "suck" stage, and achieve the Nirvana of "Wow"?  I'm
> historically a Unix scripter, haven't spent a lot of time on languages
> like Perl or Python, and am finding the transition to Ruby rather
> painful.  Any areas to concentrate on??
>
> TPL

I started learning Ruby after  two years of programming experience in
C++ and Java and as I remember it was quite painful - largely because I
was so used to static typing. As a unix scripter you might need to get
comfortable with objected oriented programming. For that you will need
to read "Programming Ruby." I also recommend that you become intimate
with every method of Array, String and (to a lesser degree) Hash.
Somewhere half-way to that point I went "wow." Not to say that got me
anywhere close to "pro" :)

Juozas Gaigalas