On Sat, 18 Nov 2006, Thomas Luedeke wrote:

> Any hints/suggestions by you Ruby pros for me to expedite my flounder
> through the "suck" stage, and achieve the Nirvana of "Wow"?  I'm
> historically a Unix scripter, haven't spent a lot of time on languages

Using what as your main development language then?   That will
tend to influence how you think about problems, and will help people
know where you are coming from.

> like Perl or Python, and am finding the transition to Ruby rather

Both those now use some kind of OO model, whereas (TTBOMK) most shells
don't have this aspect.  Reading up on the various flavours of OO
will seriously help understand how/why Ruby is put together the way
it is.

> painful.  Any areas to concentrate on??

Also, tell us where it hurts.  Obvious medical analogy in helping
solve the problem.

How are you getting on with the [online?] docs?  Which aspects of
them make your brain feel like cheese?

> TPL

        Hugh