Alfonso wrote:

/ ...

>> The answer depends on where this happened, using what output device or
>> editor, etc, etc..
>>
> I have tried this in two different computers with windows xp spanish
> version installed. If I use the interactive console and write, for
> example this line:
>
> puts "ñ ó á é í"
>
> then after presing enter, the result will be this: ñ ó á é í
>
> Now, if I write the same with a text editor (I use vim, but have tried
> also with notepad), this is the result:

You need to obtain a font that is appropriate to the language you are using.
I want to emphasize that the characters in the file are very likely to be
correct, but their representation on the display is the only problem, and
that is a font issue.

In Windows, you have the option of changing locales, or installing an
appropriate font, or both. Specifically with regard to either Notepad or
VIM, see if you have the option of changing the editing font.

> As opposite, in linux, the result is allways ñ ó á é í.

Linux is typically (but not always) more aware of locale issues. An example
is the fact that I am getting the correct accented character
representations here on Fedora 5's newsreader, and I doubt that I would on
a recent Windows version.

But again, it's very likely that the characters are correct, only their
display is wrong.

--
Paul Lutus
http://www.arachnoid.com