Hi,

I'm wanting to create thumbnails of pdfs in png format and send them off
to be saved. I've come up with this so far:

    IO.popen("curl #{some_uri} | convert -resize 700x700 pdf:-[0]
png:-") {|f| do_something_with_this_file}

Which works a treat. (In case you didn't know, convert is a command line
tool for ImageMagick).

What I'd really like to do though is pass on a File object to convert:

file = File.open("mypdf.pdf")

    IO.popen("#{file} | convert -resize 700x700 pdf:-[0] png:-") {|f|
do_something_with_this_file}

This obviously doesn't work but I hope illustrates what I'm wanting to
acheive - namely to pass 'file' to convert it to a png which is read
back into ruby and uploaded to my file repository on S3.

By the way, this IS for a rails application, but it seems basically like
a pure ruby question to me.

Regards

Adam