On Sun, 2001-10-14 at 19:04, Sean Russell wrote:
> Sean Middleditch wrote:
>
> > the scan method will automatically handle the quotation marks?  Becasue
> > the regular expression wouldn't understand that the comma in "a,b" is
> > any different than the other commas...
> >
> > Sorry if you already explained that, but I wasn't following the thread,
> > and I just deleted my mailbox a couple minutes ago (cleaning out the
> > cruft... I wish mailers had a function to only delete message over a
> > certain age... ah well).
>
> Doh!  No, you're right.  I had it right the first time.  I should have
> learned by now never to question my mself.  Foolish me for thinking I could
> have been wrong!  The proper regexp should be
>
>    /".*?"|[^,]*/

I still think there may be problems... the quotes might have to be
escaped.  Also, what about something like

abc,def,\"abc,"123,456"\,xxy

The escapes won't work.  I once had a regexp that (in almost all cases)
properly handled this, but I don't recall what it was.  Unfortunately,
I'm not talented enough at regexps to figure it out again without
another hour of work.  ^,^  I don't know if handling the \ escapes is
important though for this situation (I had some text files at work that
did need it, though... was a real pain).

> BTW, are you a member of IBOS?

Off the top of my head, I don't even know what IBOS is, so I'm going to
assume that I'm not.  Is that a group I should be familar with?