On Fri, Nov 17, 2006 at 12:12:52AM +0900, Gabriele Marrone wrote:
> I like fastri :)

:-)

> Did you implement a way to tell fri about the default pager it should  use?
> On the 0.1.1 announcement thread you said you probably would have  done this
> in 0.2.0.  I tried by setting a PAGER envvar but it didn't work (many unix
> tools  check for that envvar, "PAGER=cat man man" is just an example).

Sorry, it's not in 0.2.0, but you can find it in HEAD; just get
http://eigenclass.org/repos/fastri/head/bin/fri

$ fri -h

Usage: fri [options] <query>
    -s, --bind ADDR                  Bind to ADDR for incoming DRb connections.
                                     (default: 127.0.0.1)
    -O, --order ORDER                Specify lookup order.
                                     (default: eEnNpPxX)
                                     Uppercase: case-indep.
                                     e:exact n:nested p:partial (completion)
                                     x:nested and partial
                                     a:match method name anywhere
        --show-matches               Only show matching entries.
    -S, --full-text                  Perform full-text search.
    -F, --full-text-dir DIR          Use full-text index in DIR
                                     (default: /home/batsman/.fastri-fulltext)
    -f, --format FMT                 Format to use when displaying output:
                                        ansi, plain (default: ansi)
    -P, --[no-]pager                 Use pager.
                                     (default: don't)
        --pager-cmd PAGER            Use pager PAGER.
                                     (default: don't)
    -w, --width WIDTH                Set the width of the output.
    -h, --help                       Show this help message

fri will use a pager by default in full-text search mode, (either the one
given to --pager-cmd, ENV["PAGER"], "less", "more" or "pager", in that order)
but *not* in normal mode, unless you ask for it with -P.

You can  alias fri="fri -P" to always use a pager, and it will honor the PAGER
env. variable.

I might as well implement option parsing for ENV["FRI_OPTIONS"].