I'm having a problem with the 1.6.4 Ruby interpreter, and I'm wondering if
anyone off the top of their head knows why.

The problem occurs when I'm running the REXML benchmark program, and is
that the ruby interpreter segfaults at a predictable place in the
benchmark.  The benchmark program sees how many times it can execute a
block within a given amount of time.  Now, this is what I've observed:

1) My home computer is an older 400MHz AMD, with 512MB RAM.  I haven't seen
the problem at home.
2) My work computer is an 800MHz Intel 686.  The problem occurs if I set
the benchmark time to 10 seconds.
3) The problem occurs later in the program when I set the time to 5 seconds.
4) The problem disappears when I set the time to 3 seconds.

My guess is that the faster machine is flooding the Ruby stack with
objects, and this is causing the segfault.  This is reasonable, but
shouldn't Ruby throw raise an exception rather than segfaulting, if this is
the case?

If you want to try this, download REXML and run the benchmark.  If you have
a fast machine, you should hit the segfault pretty quickly.  If you have a
slower machine, you may have to set the benchmark time higher to see the
effect.

Thanks,

--- SER