On Sun, 14 Oct 2001, Conrad Schneiker wrote:

> Hi,

Hi,

and thanks for the report from RubyConf. Lets hope more people will
summarize their impressions.

> Wiki petition:
> (http://scgwiki.iam.unibe.ch:8080/SmalltalkWiki/118)
>
> ==== begin quote ====
> [...]
> Petition for having Animorphic Smalltalk
>
> I need you!!!! Long time ago in 1996, a group of excellent people built a
> Smalltalk, called Animorphic Smalltalk that went (and goes still today) 3
> times faster than our Smalltalks. (May be some gurus VM will run some
> benchmark and we will know the truth). This Animorphic Smalltalk proposed
> also a type system, glyph based interface, mixins and mirrors (a new way to
> look at reflection which looks really interesting).

Anyone has located info about the Animorphic Smalltalk VM? I searched but
couldn't find "hard facts" mostly discussion on how fast it is etc.

It seems to me that its a precursor to the Java Hotspot VM which from what
I've heard (I left Java prior to its arrival) does *NOT* show very
impressive performance. Can someone refute or support this impression?

Anyway I signed the petition because knowledge about things that has been
tried is always good. And if they'll open-source the code it would of
course be great.

Regards,

Robert Feldt