Hi,

"Bill Kelly" <billk / cts.com> wrote:

> From: "Todd Gillespie" <toddg / foobox.net>
> >
> > On Fri, 12 Oct 2001, Robert Feldt wrote:
> [...]
> > > [...]
> > >
> > [...]
>
> That reads a bit like Hunter Thompson, though at his best I
> think he was rarely mean, nor took hisself too seriously. :)
>
> > Maybe someone can restate that with more concision.
>
> [Some outrageously hilarious material better suited]
> [for alt.tastless.jokes deleted.]
>
>                                  Hunter S. Thompson

Please keep in mind that a few fairly young Ruby newbies (and likely a few
fairly young Ruby prodigies and wizards by now as well) read this NG/ML and
its archives (which I very much want to encourage), and most of us don't
want to give their parents and/or teachers a reason to change that.

There are several people trying to promote Ruby as a first programming
language for use in high school and earlier grades (again which I very much
want to encourage), which means that some increasing number of teachers and
administrators will be checking out Ruby resources that Ruby nubies have
access to, including this NG/ML and its archives.

For future reference, even though fewer people would have read the HST text
of the preceding post in this thread, a reference to the relevant book and
chapter would have been much more appropriate.

More generally, I know (from discussions in person last Friday) that Matz
wishes that _everyone_ would be friendly, courteous, tactful, and tasteful
in communicating with anyone in the Ruby community, especially so in this
NG/ML. (Which is probably why I'm not replying in heavily redacted HST style
about poor judgment with respect to younger readers and their parents and
teachers.) Since I founded comp.lang.ruby (to which the ruby-list ML is
mirrored) on behalf of Matz, I would like to request that _everyone_ respect
his wishes, which I think will help attract many more people to Ruby in the
long run.

Thanks,
Conrad