On Nov 15, 2006, at 0:55 , Jan Svitok wrote:

> - it seems you have require patched, so gems are in the game.
> that's fine.

Thanks for confirming that. Good to have a second opinion.

> - postgres from the listing seems to have compiled extension. Check
> whether it is indeed compiled - you'll have postgres.so somewhere in
> the dir. If it's not there look for info how to setup build
> environment

This is very helpful. I hadn't thought to check this. I can see that
there *is* a postgres.o on the system that works, but it's missing on
the system that doesn't. This gives me something to pursue.

> - check whether the ext is directly in lib or somewhere deeper - i.e.
> require 'whatever/postgres'
> - go there, try require it from the dir where it is without rubygems
> if you can't the problem is somewhere deeper.
>
> For example, on debian&co you have to have installed build-essential
> package. Without it, the ext won't be compiled however gem will
> install fine and don't tell anything.

 From the system where it works, the postgres.o file is in the top-
level of the postgres-0.7.1 directory (i.e., /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/
1.8/gems/postgres-0.7.1/postgres.o) so this is probably not a
problem, but it's also something for me to check when I figure out
why the postgres.o file isn't getting built.

Thanks for the pointers, Jan. This is really helpful, and gives me
something to work on :)

Michael Glaesemann
grzm seespotcode net