Gareth Adams wrote:
> I've heard these terms used in various places, just wondering where I
> can find
> out more about what they mean and how knowing about them can help my
> programming

Gareth,

Immutable: the String class in Java is immutable meaning that it can't
be changed once created.  If ever you do an operation on a string in
java, a new instance is created so as to leave the original alone.
This behaviour allows strings to be passed everywhere and have countless
references to it without worrying about the underlying object changing
in any way.  Strings in ruby are not immutable meaning that you can do
such things as val[1]='g'

Singleton: This is a gof pattern meanting that you can have exactly one
instance of an object.  It's used extensively as a manager over a
critical resource that that must be shared by a number of components
within a system such as a data source factory, or a transaction manager.
It has many other uses as well however and is arguably the best
understood gof pattern.  As was mentioned earlier, the GoF book is an
excellent resource no matter what language you are using.

Immediate: I have no idea, perhaps you overheard this in the morning: "I
need a coffee immediately!" which is only indirectly related to coding
in general.  :)

There are always new terms coming out so don't think twice about asking.
I have no qualms about looking like a newb if I can get an answer that
will allow me to do my job.. :)  google should be your best friend as
well..

ilan