I am writing a program that needs to store the raw Unix 'mtime' value (as
gotten via the 'stat' call in "C") into a database as an integer.
Unfortunately, the File.stat object returns the 'mtime' as an
already-translated ASCII string ( i.e., like localtime(time()) rather than
like time() ). This will not work for me because I need something that is
timezone-insensitive (this will be used to look for files that have been
modified since the last time they were processed, the last time being when
they were stored in the database, and if the mtime/size differs, re-processes
them).

Is there a way I can get at the raw integer value in the stat struct without
writing my own Stat class in "C"? (Which would be no big deal -- I wrote my
own Statfs class for Ruby in "C", I have petitioned my management for
permission to release it to this mailing list, we'll see what happens there).

This, btw, is with Ruby 1.6.4.

Eric Lee Green                            egreen / disc-storage.com
Software Engineer,  DISC Inc.     http://www.disc-storage.com
              Automated Solutions for Enterprise Storage