REXML 0.9.4a is out.

XPath, which was loosely based on code from the Electric XML code, suffered
from some scalability problems; in particular, to get axes working, I had
to rewrite the entire XPath class.  The code is now cleaner, has the
potential to support more of XPath, and is about 1.3 times as fast as it
was.  More of XPath is supported; the axes, for one thing, to various
degrees, and although untested, functions are supported; in particular,
text() and last()... and even better, you can add functions by extending
the REXML::Function class.

--- SER