stuinzuri wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Back in 2001 or so I took a look at ruby...downloaded ruby for my
> windows machine, bought Thomas & Hunt's "Programming Ruby" (2001,
> Addison Wesley), ......and promptly got caught up in a massive career
> change.
>
> Now I am back with a bit of Java and mgmt experience under my belt and
> want to get back into ruby on my MacBook (with built in ruby 0.9
> (02/07/03))
>
> The question is, am i still good with this five year old book?  At
> least for a while?  Or should I consider it prime recycling material?
> My interest at this point is only personal and not professional...so I
> can't stick the employer with the bill.  :P
>
> tia,
>
> Stu

I'd say yes, assuming you can afford the $30 it takes to buy the new
edition of _Programming_Ruby_. If you seriously want to program in Ruby,
as a hobby or professionally, you'll want at least one other book,
either Hal Fulton's _The_Ruby_Way_ or Lucas Carlson and Leonard
Richardson's _Ruby_Cookbook_. And if you're interested in Ruby On Rails,
David Black's _Ruby_for_Rails is very highly regarded, as is Dave Thomas
and David Heinemeier Hansson's _Agile_Web_Development_with_Rails_.