Ola Bini wrote:
> M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> <snip>
>> jRuby is an investment. Only time will tell whether that investment
>> will pay off and what the payoffs will be. I don't know enough about
>> the Java runtime (or the CLR or Parrot, for that matter) to predict
>> success or failure. I'm personally much more interested in the open
>> source community efforts. There are many more opportunities for me to
>> create signal there than there are in two corporations, neither of
>> which pays me a dime. :)
>>

> Hi Ed,
>
> From your post I got the distinct impression that JRuby is no longer
> an open source project: "I'm personally much more interested in the
> open source community efforts."
> I just want to chime in and inform you that JRuby is still an Open
> Source project and very much a community effort. Charles and Tom are
> hired by Sun, but they are by no means the only ones contributing code
> to JRuby. Would Ruby stop being a community effort if Matz was
> employed full time by a company to implement it? (I'm not sure if he
> is or isn't, the question is hypothetical).
>
> What I have seen from Sun's involvement in JRuby this far is only for
> the benefit of JRuby. More resources and more information to better
> implement stuff, but no explicit steering towards subjects more
> interesting for Sun.
>
> I'm not an idealist and realize that Sun's involvement of course is
> because they think they can benefit from the project, but that doesn't
> make JRuby less Open Source or community driven.
>
> Regards
Ah ... OK. I'm glad to hear that jRuby is indeed a community/open source
effort. By the way, speaking of large corporations and open source, Sun
has taken some flack about the slow pace of opening up Java technology
in general. Given the size of the technology and the number of people
who would need to approve it, it's not a surprise to me that it would
take so long. But still, in general in the corporate world, many more
people are paid to work *with* open source technologies rather than to
work *on* them.

So ... how far away are we from an open source JVM? :)

http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/