--------------enig3C92BCECC5B174C5752E94E5

Patrick Hurley wrote:
> On 11/12/06, Alfonso <euoar / yahoo.es> wrote:
>> Sorry for the too elemental question (don't know if this is the right
>> place to make questions like this) I just have started with ruby, and
>> don't understand the difference "::" "." I have read that :: is for
>> accessing constants, but then I see, that, for example, I can make a new
>> object like with ::new or .new. Could anyone explain that?
>
> There is some overlap, but in general usage, use :: to access names
> that are scoped within modules and use . to send messages (call)
> methods.

To be precise, :: and . are completely equivalent operators to call
methods of an object. I think (not really sure) that an older version of
Ruby only let you use :: for class methods, but that's no longer the case.

Only :: can be used for constant lookup; it's idiomatic to use . for any
method calls, as Patrick says.

David Vallner