David Vallner wrote:
> Joel VanderWerf wrote:
>>> Better deployment tools
>
> Maven fanboy.

There's a lot more to deployment than Maven. Being able to zip up a
Rails app and with a single command spit it out to your 100-server
cluster is perhaps more compelling than anything Maven-related. I don't
use Maven, but I know firsthand the power of EAR and WAR deployment and
how easy they make app management in a typical app server. I think this
is more what McGovern was getting at.

>>> A more secure platform
>>>

> Integrated security policies I'll grant there are. However, I don't
> think I'd find five people at the department I work at (Java Knowledge
> Base) that have actually ever seen the insides of a policy descriptor,
> and more than two that did so outside a course on Java security.

Java has been mercilessly beaten on for a decade. Ruby, not so much. The
worst security flaws in Rails or in Ruby are yet to be discovered.

--
Charles Oliver Nutter, JRuby Core Developer
Blogging on Ruby and Java @ headius.blogspot.com