Hi!

I'm very new to Ruby, but I like the language.
I've been writing most of my programs in Java until now, but I want to try
to make graphical applications in Ruby.

My question is: Should I learn Ruby/Tk or Ruby/GTK?

These are my problems when trying:

I'm running on Windows98 and Linux/Suse.
WINDOWS:
In Windows Ruby/Tk is convinient because it works :)
I've not got Ruby/GTK to work. I don't know where to put the dll-files that
are included and if I need a special Ruby-version for this.

LINUX:
When I installed Ruby on my Linux machine, I got no support for Ruby/Tk.
I tried to do "ruby extconf.rb".
It sais:

# ruby extconf.rb
checking for t_open() in -lnsl... no
checking for socket() in -lsocket... no
checking for dlopen() in -ldl... yes
checking for log() in -lm... yes
checking for tcl.h... yes
checking for tk.h... no

This is strange, because:
# locate 'tcl.h' 'tk.h'
/usr/include/expect_tcl.h
/usr/include/itcl.h
/usr/include/tcl.h
/usr/include/itk.h
/usr/include/tk.h

I tried the same with Ruby/GTK which complained about:
 # ruby extconf.rb
checking for XOpenDisplay() in -lX11... no
  [error] cannot found XOpenDisplay in X11. (or maybe `gtk-config --lib' is
incorrect...)
 # gtk-config --libs
-L/usr/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lgtk -lgdk -rdynamic -lgmodule -lglib -ldl -lXi
 -lXext -lX11 -lm

I don't have X installed on the machine, because it's a server and I will
run the applications on a client with X. But I do have the X11 libraries and
includes.

What should I do?

Regards,
Henrik Steensland, Sweden