Peter Booth wrote:
> I am writing a monitoring application that exposes information about a
> Java based application, Sonic MQ JMS broker, and the underlying OS
> status. Ruby makes trivial work of parsing sar output, or scraping
> /proc files.
I'm not sure why you'd want to use both "sar" and "/proc". Everything in
"sar" comes out of "/proc" (or some of the other monitoring filesystems
in more recent versions of the kernel), Also, how often do you need to
take snapshots? Once you get below about once a minute, you start to
need to care about the processor and memory impact of the monitoring
tool. Yes, it's easier than instrumenting the application/middleware,
but instrumenting the application/middleware is the right thing to do. :)

http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/