T> some lines of relevant code snippets would suffice to get me started ;)

 Look in the distribution of rexml, you have

   bench.rb             Runs an REXML benchmark suite, testing the times of
                        various operations.  This uses the Ruby benchmark
                        module.
   nqxml_bench.rb       The same operations, using NQXML (you must, of course,
                        have NQXML installed to run this).  This is just for
                        comparison purposes.
   flatbench.rb         The same operations (using REXML) using CPS
   nqxml_flatbench.rb   The same operations (using NQXML) using CPS

Guy Decoux