--------------enig69E635262465E5D1392DB80D

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> Well ... I know how *I* feel about it:
>
> http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/2006/11/nitty-gritty-of-ruby_11.html

Impose JRuby on the world? I have my doubts Sun would even try - the
time of Java hype marketing is past. And I don't think JRuby will be as
earthshaking to both the Ruby and Java worlds as some people make it out
to be. By adopting JRuby as the implementation language for the Java
platform, you are also partially dropping the advantages that keeping to
Java has (existing infrastructure, experience, tool support). In the
end, it might be a useful tool on both sides, but I don't see paranoid
managers adopting Ruby en masse just because it has a J prepended to it
- not all of them are that gullible.

That the JVM become the primary runtime for Ruby is somehow laughable.
So far, it hasn't become the primary runtime for any major programming
language that isn't Java, evidence would suggest that this remains the
case. It would be foolish for performance reasons if nothing else, a
dedicated optimised VM will do better when treated with Ruby
idiosyncratisms like pervasive use of closures.

The signal-to-noise ratio of blog topics that concern both Java and Ruby
has been abysmal unless it was about JRuby in specific, I hate to see
random opinionated rants and wishful thinking cloud that topic too.

David Vallner