:fr nephish [mailto:nephish / gmail.com]
# def get_in_list(status)
#         my_list = 'x,j,m,jrn,fnk,foo,other'
#         my_list_array = my_list.split(',')

a candidate for chaining methods

#         if my_list_array.include?(status)
#             return true
#         else
#            return false
#         end

you are repeating and paraphrasing my_list_array.include?(status). lose the returns, lose the ifs. this is ruby. r u a c programmer? ;-)

nonetheless, this is again a candidate for chaining.

# end
#
# i dunno, just thought there might be a prettier way to do this.

if you get a solution within a minute, including the typing, then that's pretty :)

kind regards -botp

# any suggestions ?
# thanks
#