On 11/10/06, James Edward Gray II <james / grayproductions.net> wrote:
> On Nov 10, 2006, at 8:34 PM, Giles Bowkett wrote:
>
> > However, they were very useful in the sense of
> > learning the technologies in pretty extensive detail.
>
> Wow, I don't think my Java certification taught me Java at all.
> Other people seem to put a lot more weight in my piece of paper than
> I do.

actually, I was thinking of the same certification when I wrote that.
I got totally inaccurate information about how hard that test would
be, studied with ridiculous intensity, and then the test was so easy I
could have aced it drunk. the same was true of my other certification.
after two in a row like that, I realized the tests were much less
rewarding than the studying.

if you really want to learn Java in detail, by the way, not that
people on this list frequently express such a wish, but if you do,
read Josh Bloch, e.g., "Java Puzzlers" and "Effective Java." Josh
Bloch is incredibly interesting if you're learning Java in as much
detail as you possibly can, but unintentionally hilarious if you've
been coding Ruby exclusively for six months and haven't touched Java
since you started. (I hate language-bashing, but it's true.)

--
Giles Bowkett
http://www.gilesgoatboy.org