Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In message "Re: [OT] the name of Matz"
>     on Tue, 7 Nov 2006 23:26:56 +0900, Byung-Hee HWANG <bh / izb.knu.ac.kr> writes:
>
> |I saw the full name of Matz, ruby creater, on the web [1]. However, I
> |don't know what is family name in his full name. AFAIK, CIA uses all
> |capital letters for family names because the factbook users are faced
> |with a world of different cultures and naming conventions [2].
> |Therefore, I suggest that the full name of Matz might be mark from
> |"Yukihiro Matsumoto" to "Yukihiro MATSUMOTO" if his family name is
> |"Matsumoto".
>
> FYI, My family name is Matsumoto.  I don't see family-name-capital
> convention much in the English speaking countries, I hesitated to do
> so in public.  Just call me Matz.

Of course I know that almost all speakers using English as mother
language do not use all capital letters for their family names as above
you mentioned. Also I agree about your way, using just nick name.
However, Akinori [3], a developer of FreeBSD Project, use all capital
letters for family name. Why do Akinori do so?

Someday far later, we may confuse with the issue. Thus, we need to make
general rules than using just nick name. I want you consider the issue
in all its aspects [4].

Sincerely,

Byung-Hee

[3]http://people.freebsd.org/~knu/