Replying to my own question just to settle the matter:

socket.c was not to blame for my problem -- rather, it was my writing my
socket-transported data to a file on Windows machines without calling
IO.binmode on the File object first.  The resulting confusion wasted several
hours spread over many days and masked my overarching problem, which was having
failed to implement what turned out to be a key component for synchronizing the
two ends of the socket for the protocol I'm using.

Al

=====
Albert Davidson Chou

    Get answers to Mac questions at http://www.mac-mgrs.org/ .