Il giorno 08/nov/06, alle ore 04:26, CatLady [] ha scritto:

> Hi,
>
> Im just starting to get my feet wet with Ruby amd im having trouble
> understanding why someone would want to implement there own web
> server.
>
> I know theres a WEBrick object and a few others out there that
> allow you
> to create web servers with ease, but why would anyone want to do that
> when theres stable and fully featured servers already out there?

You could want (as I do) to develop Rails applications on your
desktop box without installing and running an overkill webserver just
for that purpose.
You could need (as I do) a quick and clean way to install a webdav
server on a unix box where you don't have root access (or you don't
want to mess with the existent production web server), I get a
headache just thinking about installing Apache2 with PREFIX=~...

I'm sure many people out there have other reasons :)

> Sorry for posting this here, I dont really see this as a rails
> question.

Well, I guess this is the right ML :)

--
Gabriele Marrone