wow, both these solutions look better than what I have, and I don't
understand either one of them.

so Phrogz your solution is very similar to mine, except you do the
split after the sort instead of before it? I do have to preserve the
nested arrays intact.

I think I should say, this is a real-world thing, the arrays aren't
really of numbers, they're of objects. I'm not sure if that makes a
difference, though.

hmm, bit too brain-fried to follow all this at the moment, but
definitely thanks for the guidance, I'll see what I can learn from
these.

--
Giles Bowkett
http://www.gilesgoatboy.org