On Nov 6, 2006, at 5:03 PM, David Vallner wrote:

> I probably never even saw a computer that could
> handle a XML file that size using straightforward DOM parsing

This is off-topic but I have a theory that it's possible using a
variant of the Flyweight pattern with index offsets into the document
and reparsing individual tags on demand.  (I would use weak
referencing to cache them after a parse.)

I've been meaning to code up a proof of concept here and just haven't
had time yet...

> You want a Ruby binding to a stream or pull parser - to my best
> knowledge, REXML is neither.

REXML includes a stream parser.

James Edward Gray II