I'm looking for an extension/plugin/whatever you call it (I'm new to
rails) to implement into rails.  i want a chat that probly will be
reinventing the wheel- though of course I'd love to grab code similar
to lingr or moreso campfire but I don't see that type of project in
works by anyone else, looks like they gave up and said use lingr or
campfire for their purposes.

Currently I use lace but the ajax is too slow and requires too much
server talk and it goes into overflow- whereas all the ruby
implementations i've seen are incredible and allow for scalability of
larger groups of people!  (more than 7 unlike lace that starts
getting clunky).  Sure it'd be great if i could offer the ability to
connect through existing chat plugins such as jabber/irc/google/etc.
But baby steps- I just need an initial chat to start off with that is
similar to campfire/lingr as that's my approach that I'm wanting to
take and add customization after that.