Marcin, David, greg thanks for the feedback.

I'm more interested in the question as to why having that capability
directly built-in would or would-not be of benefit to Ruby.

I'm aware of the class vs. prototype differences and ara's
implementation of prototype.rb --i've even written one myself years ago
(sloop was new to me though thanks). And granted, we could use such a
lib even if it were a tad suprising to on looking Ruby coders. But I'm
not really looking at a whole prototype approach so much as just
thinking that this one particular capability would be of use. And the
reason I say that, is that I find myself more and more often using
hashes for parameters rather than straight arguments. In turn I usually
prefer accessing them with dot notation rather than hash, so I end up
doing:

  def foo( keys )
    keys = keys.to_openobject
    keys.bar
    keys.baz

(OpenObject is an improved OpenStruct BTW) There's a lot of overhead
going on here. So when I was working with Javascript today, I couldn't
help but think, why do they have it so good in this respect, but Ruby
doesn't?

T.