On 01/11/2006, at 3:11 PM, Francis Cianfrocca wrote:

> What LDAP operations are you performing here?

In the particular case when I hit the problem, it was an attribute
level modify operation. I realise my original post was extremely hard
to decipher, I was rather pressed for time when I put it together.

I have a script which consumes 'jobs' off a queue. One of the jobs
may be to update the name details for a particular user in domain a,
the next to update the phone number in domain b. Therefore opening
one connection using open() is not an option.

I have thought long and hard about this and I can't come up with a
solution. The only way for this to work the way I want would be to
have a flag that changes the connection model and maybe allows me to
specify when to open/close the underlying connection. However, I see
from the in code comments that it was an explicit design decision to
have the API work the way it does. I do understand the reason for
this, but it just doesn't suit my needs for this.

If this is something that you don't wish too change (quite
reasonable) I will go back to the other ruby ldap options.

On a side note, your ldap implementation performs very well compared
to the Perl net::ldap which I was surprised about. It may have been a
peculiarity of my environment, but when I moved to Perl to get the
task I needed done, there was a noticeable slow down in processing
large result sets compared to your ruby implementation.

Cheers.

Luke Daley
http://www.ldaley.com