On Oct 30, 2006, at 5:42 PM, Dido Sevilla wrote:
> On 10/30/06, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <znmeb / cesmail.net> wrote:
>> I'm not sure anyone uses just drb ... it's more common to use drb via
>> the Rinda layer on top of drb. Try a search for Rinda ... there was a
>> talk about Rinda at RubyConf 2006.
>
> Funny, I use DRb by itself a lot, but have never yet used Rinda for a
> production application. DRb by itself works just fine for all of my
> needs, but then I'm not trying (yet) to build an application that will
> do automated service discovery. I don't see why you say it's more
> common to use Rinda on top of DRb. While I admit that Rinda is
> interesting, it still leaves you with the problem of the actual DRb
> services that you'll publish on top of it.

Rinda::RingServer and friends are for automated service discovery and
sit on top of Rinda::TupleSpace.  Whenever you need communication
beyond what a set of Queues can provide a TupleSpace becomes your
friend.  The best book on how to use Linda/Rinda is:

How To Write Parallel Programs: A First Course by Nicholas Carriero,
David Gelernter 1990

If you just want autodiscovery, RindyDingy wraps up all that hassle
in an easy package.

http://trackmap.robotcoop.com