Graham Stokes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone please suggest an approach for handling a .zip archive which
> contains .xls files ? I want to process the .xls files in turn on the
> fly as win32OLE objects to extract cell data and create new charts. Of
> course I can do it the long way and just unzip everything first, but I
> wonder if there is a neat way of marrying the ZIP and win32OLE objects
> so that I can process a directory of zipped and unzipped files "in-line"
> so the code doesn't have to break stride to uncompress things. Any ideas
> greatly appreciated.
>
> Regards,
>
> Graham Stokes
>
> --

Check the Ruby standard libraries. I know this is possible in Python -
reading a zip file on the fly and processing its contents. Saw a recipe
for it in the Python Cookbook. Something similar is likely to be there
in Ruby's libs. Try checking the Ruby Cookbook too - both the official
one from O'Reilly, and Ryan Davis' (incomplete) one at zenspider.com.

HTH
Vasudev
Vasudev Ram
Software consulting and training
Dancing Bison Enterprises
http://www.dancingbison.com
"Now creating PDFs from Python is even easier"
- Steve Holden
http://del.icio.us/steve.holden/pdf