On Sun, 5 Nov 2006, Robert Dober wrote:

> On 11/4/06, ara.t.howard / noaa.gov <ara.t.howard / noaa.gov> wrote:
>>

>> NAME
>> <Ann snipped>
>

> Looks great Ara as always.
> I am using Popen7 very often (Linux only) it is the heart of many a webrick
> code to  administer  my Linux Boxes via  my Browser, I never had  *any*
> problems. (little data in the pipes for sure << 1MB)
> But I'll definitely switch to this one looks so concise.
>
> Thx for your efforts.
>
> Robert

ooops!

i should have mentioned in the first message, but there's no need to switch
from open4 if you're on a posix operating system - the main reason for this
package is people wanting to write open4 style code that will be portable on
windows, or windows users who need open4 semantics.  basically, afaik, the
popen4 module for windows has a fatal flaw which can/will cause hangs in some
situations.  open4, on *nix, will never cause hangs and systemu on windows or
nix shouldn't either.

summary:  if you are on windows and need process control with pid, stderr, and
stdout - or if you are trying to write unix/windows code that requires those
things this is for you.  otherwise i'd highly reccomend sticking with open4,
the performance is better and the spawn method gives you everything systemu
does and more with less overhead.

sorry for any confustion - hopefully this has made it clear.

kind regards.

-a
--
my religion is very simple.  my religion is kindness. -- the dalai lama